Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Sad, Sick Baby

Yesterday was vaccine day. I don't particularly love vaccine day, nor do I hate it. All except one of her vaccines (prior to yesterday) were oral, liquid vaccines...no big deal. In May, we had our first round of injectible vaccines. She had to have two shots and let me tell you, she did not like it at all. I mean, seriously, who likes a needle? No one. Alexa took it to a whole new level...she cried, no, screamed during the injection and continued on all the way home and didn't stop until we had been safely home for more than ten minutes. It was traumatizing! I held up fine, I am not one of those moms that crumbles to pieces when their baby gets vaccinated. I think it's because I've been through it before with the babies that I nannied for. I was sad she was upset, but what could I really do? We snuggled until she was ready to face the world and then carried on with our day. Anyhow, knowing what happened a few months ago I was prepared for the epic meltdown that was going to ensue. I brought the Baby Bjorn carrier instead of the stroller so that I'd have both hands free to really snuggle her well. I shoved any little extras we might need into my purse instead of dragging along the ninety pound diaper bag. I was prepared with lovies, extra binkies, the works! When the doctor and the nurse administered the first shot her face turned bright red, by the time the second shot was in her leg she let out a "wah, wah" and I squeaked a rubber ducky in her face. She laughed. That was it. Two little cries and then a laugh. AWESOME!!

We headed home, silly laughing baby in tow. I couldn't believe the difference. I was definitely not anticipating such a great reaction. And then we got home...

Per usual, she took an awesome post-vaccine nap. She was a little clingy when she woke up, but happily played on her own on her play mat for a little bit. She was even excited that her friend came over to play. After our play date, things went downhill very quickly.  I'm not sure that I actually was able to put her down at all from dinner time until we finally passed out, in my bed, together, at 10:30pm.

She got her first fever. When the thermometer hit 38.5 C (101.3F), I knew it was going to be a long night. She was sad and just laying on me. She wasn't crying or complaining, which somehow made it even worse. We rocked, she didn't sleep, we walked, no sleeping, watched a little tv, she didn't even blink. Finally, almost two hours after I gave her medicine the fever started to break. I pulled her in bed with me and turned out the lights, praying that we would both be able to sleep. She tossed and turned and took up the entire bed all night long. She was hot, the fever was back, but it was too early to give her any more medicine so I nursed her. She slept, she nursed. I dozed here and there, but kept waking up to check on her. It was a long night. I finally passed out hardcore just after 4am. When I woke up to a babbling little cutie sucking on my arm, I knew she was feeling better! Fingers crossed the fever stays away today.

It's so hard to see her not feeling well. She's so little and she can't tell me exactly what hurts or if she's cold or hungry or just wants a snuggle. It was a rough night, not because she was a tough patient, but because I was a worried mom.

**As I took a baby play break from writing this post my little bundle of giggling joy projectile vomited all over me, herself, the couch and the floor...twice. Still no fever (thank God!), but it looks like today will be a stay at home and get better kind of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment