Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Ready, Set, Eat Healthy!

Since I've been on this Mommy Makeover health kick I have not only started exercising, but I've also taken notice to what my family is eating. We are not totally unhealthy, it's just that in the past we made poor food choices and portion size was not even in our vocabulary. The fact of the matter is this: I LOVE FOOD. Michael and I have really done a complete overhaul of our diets, our exercise routines and our lifestyle in general. We used to live a very sedentary lifestyle, especially for the area we live in. Now, we are both becoming very active. We do different activities during the week both alone and as a family. We've been out hiking, going for walks and swimming together as a family. Michael and I even went for a 6km run together the other night while my mother in law watched the baby.

As part of my Mommy Makeover, I have been keeping a food diary that has really let me see what I am eating and has allowed me to figure out ways to decrease the fatty or not-so-healthy items and increase the good-for-you foods. I've found lots of cool new recipes online, have increased the healthiness of good old recipes that we love and have even made up some of my own new recipes. Tonight for dinner, for example, we are having stuffed squash. We are trying not to eat meat every single night, so this is a veggie stuffed squash. I used mushrooms, garlic, and kasha (buckwheat) to fill it, plus seasonings.

Also, as part of my new healthiness kick, I have ordered bio (organic) fruits and veggies from the Biohof near us. It's a local, organic farm that provides fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, cheeses and herbs to the residents. It's super awesome not only because it's organic, but also because they deliver fresh to our door! It's surprisingly inexpensive as well. We are waiting on the arrival of our first crate! They have tons of different crates to choose from. I chose the "Mutter-Kind" (Mother-Child) crate because of this week's selection...lettuce, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, red beets, bananas, grapes and honeydew melon. How great does all that sound! I seriously can't wait until it arrives!

In addition to healthy lunches and dinners, I have been on a mission to discover tasty, healthy snacks. A friend recommended that I check out the 100 Days of Real Food blog for other healthy meal recipes and ideas. Last night my mother in law dropped by with two large yellow squashes, four cucumbers, four red beets, a ton of green beans and a pumpkin. My brain started swimming with ideas of what to make and my mouth was watering. After scoping out the blog this morning, I found an AWESOME healthy, pumpkin bread recipe. Let me just say, my apartment smells AMAZING! I cannot wait to taste this delicious bread...my mouth is watering as I type.

I'll keep posting and updating the recipe page as I come across new and delicious finds!

Until then, Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment