Sunday, May 19, 2013

All by myself...

This has been a relatively trying week. Michael went back to working in Vienna all week long, leaving me alone at home to take care of Alexa. Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE being home with her and wouldn't want to be anywhere else, but I count on the break that comes at 5 o'clock when Michael gets home from work. I depend on that nice, long, hot, relaxing shower to wash the stress of the day away and just for that "Me Time." It doesn't matter if I spend 30 minutes on the computer, or watching TV, or even going for a walk. I just need some down time.

I kind of see myself as Superwoman. I've always been very independent and self-reliant. As long as I had my mental support system (a.k.a. the greatest friends ever), then I was good to go. There wasn't a situation that I couldn't get through. Being home alone with an infant is trying. You don't realize how important it is to take five minutes for yourself or to just get a break.  I didn't realize how much I depended on Michael just to hold Alexa for a few minutes so I could take a shower, make dinner or be able to go to the bathroom without worrying that she's going to start crying. I didn't realize how important it was, it is, for me to have another adult to talk to. Even on the best days when crying is at a minimum, it is still a long and hard day. I have always had respect for my friends that are single parents and now I have even more respect for them. They are both mom and dad 24/7 with no breaks and no one to give them a break. You guys are AMAZING!

The next three weeks I'll be on my own (at night time) with Alexa while we are on vacation. I just hope she keeps sleeping as well as she has been so that I am able to get some sleep too! Wish us luck! This will be a big week of firsts for Alexa:
  
     First time on an airplane,
     First time leaving the country,
     First time in the United States,
     First time seeing all of her uncles and grandparents in the US (my mom is the exception),
     First time going on a road trip (CT to DE)

And I'm pretty sure that this is the short list. There will be so many new and exciting things happening in the next few weeks. Be ready for pictures, lots and lots of pictures!!!

1 comment:

  1. This is so exciting!!! I can't wait to hear how everything goes :) Hope you two have an amazing trip together, and that you get some sleep ^^

    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete