Friday, May 16, 2014

Popsicle Stick Color Matching and Sorting

Alexa has become obsessed with sorting things. She likes to sort pompoms into cups and Legos into bins. She'll sort spoons or blocks or anything else you give her a few of. I came up with a cool popsicle stick color sorting game for her using a small cardboard box, an Exacto knife, some markers and 8 popsicle sticks.


My original idea was that she could pull the popsicle sticks out of the box and put them back into the slits in the box. This would help her with fine motor skills and also introduce colors and matching at the same time. The idea was a success!


I did have to hold the box down for her so she could remove the sticks and then put them back in the slots. I wish I could figure out a way to weigh down the box so that in the future this can be an independent play activity. I'll have to work on that.

She had no problem pulling the sticks out. I was amazed at how easily she was able to put most of the sticks back into the slots. Her fine motor skills really have improved since we started letting her put money in her bank.


I love this simple activity because it is a progressive learning toy. Right now, she uses it to take the sticks out and put them back in. Next we will start working on color recognition and matching using the box. I can even see a mix and match game with this box in our future.

Have you come up with any non-traditional learning toys lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment