Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Lemon Sorbet

Since the weather has been so nice lately, I've had a craving for lemon sorbet. Somehow, I how have managed to not get any in the week since I started craving it...and not for lack of trying! Our neighborhood ice cream shoppe is either remodelling or has gone out of business, the grocery stores I've checked in don't carry any and during my last attempt Alexa decided she was too tired and we needed to head home for nap BEFORE dessert. Finally, I decided I'd make my own.


I scoured the internet (a.k.a. looked on Google) for how to make lemon sorbet without an ice cream machine. I found two recipes that I liked, so I combined the two. Here are the links if you'd like to see the original recipes....here and here.

Anything that needs five ingredients or less is automatically awesome in my book. Here's what I did.

Ingredients & Supplies:
1 cup white sugar
1 cup water
1 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest

Sauce pan
Small metal pan
Large spoon

Combine the water and sugar in a pot on the stove. Heat on high, while CONSTANTLY stirring, until the mixture comes to a boil and the sugar dissolves. This takes just a few minutes. Once the mixture is at a rolling boil, remove from heat and let it cool. Once the mixture is cool, pour it into the metal pan. Immediately add the lemon juice and the lemon zest. I used store bought 100% lemon juice from the bottle. You can also squeeze 5-8 lemons for the juice. Now place the metal pan in the freezer. It takes 2-3 hours for the sorbet to freeze. After one hour, stir well. Then stir every 30 minutes until finished. The sorbet will still be soft when it is done, it will not be icy and hard.

I did not care for the lemon zest in the sorbet, so next time I won't include it in the mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment